Director, Business Development & Strategy
Adverum is currently looking for a high performing business development and strategy professional to join our team. In this role the Director BD & Strategy will work closely with other leadership team members on a wide range of corporate activities including business development, strategic planning and alliance management. To accomplish your goals, you will draw from several sources including industry databases, market research reports and analyses of primary data. The Director BD & Strategy must have strong attention to detail, the ability to effectively partner across functions, drive decision making, problem-solving, and be comfortable interfacing with both internal and external stakeholders. Qualified candidates must have the ability to execute multiple work-streams in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and remain open to new projects and/or responsibilities as the business evolves. Strong preference for work experience in corporate development, investment banking, management consulting or equivalent.
What you'll do:
- Manage the analysis of partnering opportunities, including business case development, valuation, case studies, and comparable transactions
- Lead strategy projects that identify and pursue solutions in support of corporate objectives
- Work closely with stakeholders in functional areas across the company, including discovery research, clinical development, manufacturing, finance, and legal to gain support and integrate their input into the overall business case
- Contribute to proposed deal structures, term sheet development, and contract negotiation
- Coordinate due diligence activities
- Prepare executive-level presentations for senior management and the board of directors
- Analyze new markets and potential investment opportunities for the company
- Manage alliance management activities with new and existing partners to ensure the company achieves the strategic goals of each collaboration
- Relevant experience in biopharma partnering, including track record identifying, evaluating, and executing transactions
- Previous corporate development, investment banking or management consulting experience preferred
- Ophthalmology and/or gene therapy industry experience is plus
- Deal negotiation experience a plus
- A minimum of 10 years of biopharma business development experience is required.
- Advanced degree (e.g., M.B.A., J.D., Ph.D., etc.) with a relevant technical degree preferred.
- Track record of productive participation and success in a business development role, with an appreciation of all stages of pharmaceutical drug research, development, and commercialization.
- Deal sheet including transactions executed for clinical and commercial-stage opportunities.
- Literacy in both business and science, with experience in conducting market research and life science literature reviews
- Regional experience (e.g., previous biopharma experience in Europe) is a plus.
- Technical ability to understand pipeline/portfolio at the company and potential partners.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and executive presence
- Experience leading cross-functional teams on strategic and BD-related initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in deal modeling, valuation, and associated analytics
- Experience completing market assessments of new business opportunities and ability to integrate clinical, commercial, and financial assessments into a single corporate view
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Energetic, outgoing, and friendly demeanor
- High attention to detail and a focus on fact-based decision making
Adverum is a clinical-stage gene therapy company targeting unmet medical needs in ophthalmology and rare diseases. Adverum develops gene therapy product candidates designed to provide durable efficacy by inducing sustained expression of a therapeutic protein. Adverum’s core capabilities include clinical development, novel vector discovery and in-house manufacturing expertise, specifically in scalable process development, assay development, and current Good Manufacturing Practices quality control.
At Adverum, Inclusion and Diversity are at our core. We believe in the power of being your authentic self. We strive to create the space which allows for everyone in our Adverum Community to not only feel safe but encouraged to speak, learn from each other, grow in their professions and be the very best versions of themselves no matter what their age, ethnic background, gender, origin, religion or sexual orientation